Monday, November 15, 2010

The Great Pumpkin

Pumpkin Bread

Okay. More bread. So sue me.

Honestly, though - this is the very best pumpkin bread on the entire planet. When I made this batch, the boys and I had a loaf for lunch. Well, we left about a quarter of it for Dr. SmartyPants to eat later, BUT WE ATE THE OTHER THREE-QUARTERS FOR LUNCH. That's all.

When I make this bread, I tend to eat it for breakfast (with a little cream cheese...yum), lunch (with an apple) and dinner (with a salad and that zucchini) and dessert (all by itself.)

So it doesn't last very long...

My friend, Kristi, gave me the recipe for this after Derek and Joshua begged me to ask her to make them some. It's so easy, and so moist and so delicious and so I'll just get on with it...

Preheat oven to 350

Mix together the following ingredients in a large bowl. A nice large stand mixer is fantastic for this, but in a pinch a hand mixer will work just fine...just make sure you have a good, deep bowl - there's a lot of batter.


3 cups sugar (yes...that's correct...there's a reason it tastes so good...)
1 cup oil
4 eggs
1 can of pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling...just plain pumpkin!)
3 1/2 cups of flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp all spice
1/2 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup water

Bake in 2 greased loaf pans for 1 hour.

That's it. Really. For this last batch, I baked it in 3 small loaf pans...worked just fine that way, too!

My only caution to you is to watch it in the last 15 minutes or so - you do NOT want to overcook this bread. It's best when it stays good and moist - don't let it dry out, okay?

Ohmygosh. I'm going to bake some right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment